Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Powered by Blogger.

DIY Gold Leaf Chalkboard


No comments

I was planning on posting this last night, but to my surprise, my husband put aside his "man card" for the evening and watched the movie The Help with me. :) 

Now onto the main event! Have you heard of the famous Miss Mustard Seed Gold Leaf Chalkboard? I was so excited to try this one out since I've been coveting the one in her staging photos for quite some time now. I learned that she had a step-by-step tutorial over at HGTV (here), so when I found the MOST AMAZING frame at a garage sale for only $5, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it! Here is my final product:

This is one of those times when I wish I had a before pic of the frame. Two of the corners were completely missing... thus the $5 price tag. I used some molding clay to first form a mold out of one of the good corners. After that dried, I used my new corner mold to create the two missing corners. Here's a close-up of the molding that I had to recreate (you can't even tell!):
I followed Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial to a "T." The only exception was when it came to painting the chalkboard center, I had no primer. Was I going to take the time to drag out my two toddlers and make the big trip to the hardware store just for primer? Nope. Was I going to wait until the next day? Nope. What to do? I saw the gold leaf adhesive spray on my counter and just went for it. And it worked! So mental note: if you don't have any spray primer on hand you can substitute gold leaf adhesive spray. :)

Lots of love,
Mary

Leave a Reply