Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Powered by Blogger.

Surprise! A Mini Bedroom Makeover


22 comments

I told you I had something up my sleeve! It all started when my husband had to go on a two-day business trip to Dallas. After he left on Tuesday morning, I got to thinking... what if I could pull off a mini master bedroom makeover before he returned on Wednesday evening? You see, our master bedroom has been neglected big time! Because nobody goes up there, it's received no attention whatsoever. I wanted my husband and I to have a nice place to retreat to at the end of the day.

Let me preface this by saying that it was a "mini" makeover. I had less than 24 hours and two children to care for at the same time! I have many, many more plans for this space, so look for "master bedroom makeover 2.0" in the future. :)  Without further ado... introducing the final product:


And for comparison, this is what our master bedroom looked like before.
Does this look at all familiar? Since moving in, we just placed our furniture in the room and walked away. Have you done the same thing? Notice how the cords are stretching to plug in all our "necessities." And one of our lamps were moved to the guest room to accommodate out-of-town company. Tacky, I know... it's embarrassing.

First things first, we needed an actual bed frame -- or in the very least, a headboard. Since upgrading to a king-size bed, our pretty queen-size Z Gallerie bed that we had been using moved to the guest room. I've seen DIY headboards all over the internet, so that's what I set out to do. Fortunately, Home Depot stocks 6' long pre-cut boards for about $5.50 a piece. I used six boards, stained them, and screwed them to the wall using a course drywall screw.
We also needed some lighting changes, so I picked up these nightstand lights as well as the ceiling fan and called a very generous friend to come install them last-minute for me.
I brought in Hayden - the antique cedar chest to frame the foot of the bed, and also picked up a few nightstand accessories...
...including this super-cool motorcycle statue that I couldn't resist for my husband's side of the bed.
To keep it practical, I used books that my husband actually reads topped with a couple vintage, old-looking books.

And finally, I purchased this rug to frame out the space and add a little texture and dimension.

Now that this much is done, I want to do more! (Oh the lack of time and resources). Until next time...

**Update: I have recently posted a tutorial specifically dedicated to the headboard portion of this project. Click here to view.**


Lots of love,
Mary


Linked up here:

22 comments

  1. Anonymous
  2. Anonymous
  3. Anonymous
  4. Anonymous
  5. Anonymous
  6. Anonymous
  7. Anonymous
  8. Anonymous
  9. Anonymous
  10. Anonymous
  11. Anonymous
  12. Anonymous
  13. Anonymous
  14. Anonymous
  15. Anonymous

Leave a Reply